OKC's Most Advanced Technology
Increased Confidence Is The Main Reason For Learning About The Type Of Technology That Will Be Used For Your LASIK.
Your firmest assurance of achieving the best vision possible is choosing a skilled surgeon who is using the most advanced technology available. Since ClearSight is privately owned, Dr. Wilson has always been free to choose the best technology for his patients.
As Oklahoma’s first eye surgeon to perform Laser Vision Correction after its FDA approval in 1995, Dr. Wilson has always used the most advanced lasers available.
Each generation of newer technology solves issues that earlier technology could not address. The lasers used today at ClearSight Center achieve significantly better results, with greater patient comfort, than earlier systems.
The Ziemer Femtosecond laser and the Allegretto WAVELIGHT EX500 excimer produce the best results Dr. Wilson has ever achieved.
The most advanced blade-free technology
The flap-creation step in earlier LASIK procedures was performed using a vibrating hand-held blade called a microkeratome. With the advent of the blade-free Intralase system, the hand-held blade was eliminated resulting in more accuracy and greater patient comfort.
The Ziemer Femtosecond laser is the most current advancement in blade-free technology, bringing even greater accuracy and precision to this phase of the procedure. A ‘femtosecond’ is one billionth of one millionth of a second. That means the Ziemer operates at inconceivable speed to create a series of microscopic bubbles in the outer corneal tissue. These bubbles form the flap without the need for cutting the tissue with a blade. The advantages in this technique are better safety, greater patient comfort, and faster visual recovery.
The most advanced excimer laser system
Earlier excimer lasers achieved startling results, but they were occasionally accompanied by night vision issues. Their technical limitations also meant that some patients could not be considered good candidates which prevented many would-be LASIK patients from enjoying the benefits of clear, natural lens free vision.
The Allegretto Wavelight EX500 is the most advanced excimer laser available. It means the unique characteristics that create your myopia, hyperopia, or astigmatism are resolved rapidly and with the highest accuracy possible. This is the laser Dr. Wilson calls “Pure magic!” Here’s why:
- It is the fastest excimer system available today, which means more accurate results and less stress for the patient.
- It uses a finely focused ‘flying spot’ beam linked to an ultra-fast eye tracking system that maps the position of the eye 200 times a second for greatest accuracy.
- Clinical studies have shown the Wavelight EX500 actually improves night vision for many patients verses their glasses or contacts.
- Many of Dr. Wilson’s patients end up with vision that is better than they ever experienced with glasses or contacts.
Broad Beam vs. Flying Spot
A wide paint brush is just fine for a large area but for a small detail you’d need a finer and more precise focus. A broad beam laser, such is used in other LASIK lasers, works somewhat like the large brush, using a single broad beam to correct the irregularities of the cornea. A flying spot laser like the Allegretto Wave uses a smaller and more precise beam that dances or ‘flies’ from one microscopic area of the cornea to the next, ensuring the most exact corrections possible.
When initially approved in 2003 as the first new laser in five years, the FDA granted Allegretto Wave the widest range of endorsements ever given to a new laser for both myopic and hyperopic vision correction. Since then the results have been astoundingly positive, with problems associated with older generation lasers (such as night vision reduction, glare, and halos) minimized dramatically.
- Unique eye tracking technology – the eye’s position is measured 200 times every second. If at any time the eye moves too quickly to be measured or moves out of range, the laser instantly stops and waits for the eye to move back into position.
- Greater Speed – The Allegretto Wave is the fastest vision correction laser available in the United States. Less time under the laser means a more comfortable and more accurate procedure for the patient.
- Better Night Vision and Glare Control – Allegretto Wave virtually eliminates glare and night vision problems associated with older generation lasers, and several studies have shown that the Allegretto Wave actually improves night vision.